First of all: Yay! We Survived! We did not go hungry, we did not go through horrible withdrawal and find ourselves crazed and panting, gobbling food at a fast food joint.
It wasn’t a perfect no-spending, completely clean week, however. Here is where we slipped up:
- I forgot to get my parking validated on Saturday and had to pay $6…ugh
- On Tuesday, Josh forgot to pack his lunch and had to scrounge around the hospital for some food …but he didn’t spend any money! So…it was kind of a win…a hungry win…
- However, pregnancy hormones got the best of me later that day and I spent $10 on a pizza for dinner…whoops
Now for the more fun part: WINS!
- We were able to feed a family of 4.5 on $56 ($46 in groceries plus the $10 pizza) for the week AND end up with leftovers in the fridge
- With the exception of the pizza, we were able to not eat out or any processed foods for a whole week as well as eat a balanced diet (ie: not all carbs)
- We stayed on budget and did not spend any money for the rest of the week. Our activities were all free: parks, friends, church, library
And now, for next week!
The menu is planned, I will prep some food on Saturday and our groceries have been bought.
My original goal was to keep my groceries between $50-75 for the week and this trip cost $70. We weren’t able to buy razor blades for Josh (again) and are running dangerously low on peanut butter, so we shall have to ration that, but I think we can make it work!
Here’s to Week 2 eating clean on a budget!